Saturday, July 7, 2012

Culinary Adventures: Creamed Crab & Corn Croquettes


When the going gets tough, the tough gets cookin'.

So it's been a long hiatus since the last entry, but to my tiny audience out there(if you're still around), it's been a crazy year with me balancing work on top of my piano practices and lessons(yes I am a geriatric music student). Anyway, I've been getting down to some serious cooking the last couple of days (made 4 dishes in total..Bibimbap, Japanese Carbonara Pasta, Gyoza and the abovementioned) and I'm not surprised if I've already put on a few pounds from these experiments.

Sigh, the sacrifices I have to make in pursuit of culinary excellence.

I kind of adapted this recipe from another blog and runnyrunny999's video (look for him on Youtube, his cooking videos are awesome).

Makes 4-5 Croquettes

Ingredients:
6 crabsticks, finely chopped
1/4 can corn kernels
3 tbsp flour
40 g butter
~150ml milk
salt and pepper to taste

1 egg, beaten
1 cup breadcrumbs
3 tbsp flour

First, make the bechamel sauce. Over low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour in 3-4 batches, stirring till it becomes an even paste each time. Add the milk in 3-4 batches, stirring in each time. Do not let it overburn! The sauce is ready when it looks like thick batter. Add some salt and pepper to taste.

Mix in the chopped crabsticks and corn kernels. Stir the mixture. On a flat pan, spread out the mixture and place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.

Take out from freezer, cut out from the tray in equal portions using a knife. Take each crab portion, roll into a ball, coat in flour, then eggwash, and then breadcrumbs. Then deepfry over low heat for about 5 minutes, till it becomes golden brown.

And there you have it, creamy crab and corn croquettes! This snack can be found in many places in Japan, and one of my favourite restaurants CocoIchiban serves it with curry rice. Yummy!





















No comments:

Post a Comment